A new Nielsen Mobile Consumer survey has shone the spotlight on the daily habits of mobile users across the globe – providing results that offer useful insights for businesses trying to develop a mobile strategy. When focusing on UK mobile users and their usage over the last 30 days, Nielsen found that:
- 98% had used their mobile devices for text messaging
- 68% had used their device to check email
- 66% had used their device for mobile web
- 63% had used their device for social networking
According to the report, 97% of UK consumers now own a mobile phone, and 61% have a smartphone, so the research reflects the habits of more than half of the population. This means three key things for your business:
- Every marketing email that you send must be optimised for mobile – if it’s not, you could be missing out on more than 50% of your audience.
- Similarly, your website must be optimised for mobile users in some form – we’d recommend responsive web design, which essentially means creating one website that is viewable across a variety of platforms, but you could also consider a standalone mobile website or even an app.
- Social media is just as important on mobile devices as it is for desktop users, so you need to bear this in mind when creating your posts. Avoid lengthy chunks of text or complicated content – make your updates quick, engaging and easy for your customers to read on the go.
Will you be taking Nielson’s research into account on your way to mobile marketing success?